When you work a 9 to 5 job, there’s never enough time in the day to get everything done, especially personal items on your to-do list.
When are we supposed to go grocery shopping, respond to friends’ emails, make doctor’s appointments or check our Facebook page?
Let’s admit it. We’ve all done some of these things at the office instead of working on the annual report.
Some employees take it to the next level when it comes to weird things people do on the job though.
A CareerBuilding report released Thursday listed some of the most unusual things employers have caught employees doing when they should have been busy working:
- Caring for her pet bird that she smuggled into work
- Shaving her legs in the women’s restroom
- Laying under boxes to scare people
- Having a wrestling match
- Sleeping, but claiming he was praying
- Taking selfies in the bathroom
- Changing clothes in a cubicle
- Printing a book from the Internet
- Warming her bare feet under the bathroom hand dryer
- A married employee was looking at a dating web site and then denied it while it was still up on his computer screen
While the survey was focused on private sector employees, government employees don’t fare much better.
A few years ago, employees at the Pentagon and at the Securities and Exchange Commission were caught using government computers to access and download pornographic images.
Last month, a General Services Administration employee visited dating websites, scoured the Internet for pornography and even maintained a user account at an X-rated social networking site. In addition to killing productivity, such practices pose a security threat because of viruses that can affect computers.