The idea is to help customers to settle their bills in time to avoid penalties. If the project proves successful, it will be extended in other parts of the island, said in Friday to Le Matinal, a senior CEB.
CEB direction found that the delay in payment of electricity bills is often related to lack of time on the part of employees who work Monday to Friday. This formula will become a way for them to pay their bills because many of them are on leave during the weekend.
Another factor that motivated the CEB to move forward in this way, is that many subscribers tend to enjoy the Saturday morning to go shopping markets. They may as well take the opportunity to go settle their electricity bills at the same time.
Reacting to the extent Jayen Chellum, chief spokesman for the Consumers' Association of Mauritius (ACIM) is of the opinion that the action taken by the management of CEB is a good thing. It will particularly those of the bottom who do not pay electricity bills through banks to have more time to do their homework.
"Sometimes the closing hours of the CEB funds suit them reasons not because of family responsibilities or work, "he said. Jayen Chellum also said that the opening of containers CEB Saturday should not be confined to the cities only. Does this service will be extended to villages also because consumers want to enjoy it.
Production of electricity from CEB represents 40% of the energy needs of the country. It is produced through its four thermal stations and eight hydroelectric stations. The rest of the electrical energy required (60%) is purchased from independent power producers. To date, the CEB is the only organization responsible for the transmission, distribution and supply of electricity to the population.